[sylpheed:33962] Sylpheed and GPG password prompt
Matthias Pannek
2010-05-11 16:12:08 UTC
Hello,

i just migrated from Windows to Linux and now i have a problem with the
password prompt/dialog from gpg.

After opening a gpg-encrypted message, there is no prompt for a
password.
I need to open Sylpheed on a console and then i see a ncurses prompt
for the password, but nothing inside X (wm: kde) :(

Thanks

Matthias
Ingo Strauch
2010-05-11 17:42:39 UTC
Hi Matthias!

On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:12:08 +0200
Post by Matthias Pannek
i just migrated from Windows to Linux and now i have a problem with the
password prompt/dialog from gpg.
After opening a gpg-encrypted message, there is no prompt for a
password.
I need to open Sylpheed on a console and then i see a ncurses prompt
for the password, but nothing inside X (wm: kde) :(
I think all you need is to install a graphical version for the pin
entry program.

On my suse box the corresponding package is named "pinentry-gtk2"

$ ls-1 /usr/bin/pinentry*
/usr/bin/pinentry
/usr/bin/pinentry-curses
/usr/bin/pinentry-gtk-2

You probably only have the first two installed.

Hope that helps,
Ingo
--
"What're quantum mechanics?"
"I don't know. People who repair quantums I suppose."
--Rincewind, Terry Pratchett "Eric"
Matthias Pannek
2010-05-11 17:53:07 UTC
On Tue, 11 May 2010 19:42:39 +0200
Post by Ingo Strauch
I think all you need is to install a graphical version for the pin
entry program.
Thanks, problem solved :-)

Matthias
Matthias Pannek
2010-05-11 20:10:50 UTC
On Tue, 11 May 2010 19:42:39 +0200
Post by Ingo Strauch
/usr/bin/pinentry-gtk-2
One thing, the "Store passphrase in memory temporarily" doesn't work.
Is there a way to activate this feature? Or is this windows-only?

Thanks,
Matthias
IW
2010-05-11 22:44:58 UTC
Pada tanggal Tue, 11 May 2010 22:10:50 +0200, Matthias Pannek
Post by Ingo Strauch
/usr/bin/pinentry-gtk-2
One thing, the "Store passphrase in memory temporarily" doesn't work.
Is there a way to activate this feature? Or is this windows-only?
Thanks,
Matthias
You need to make the setting not in sylpheed but in the program
handling your gnupg keys. I am not sure what OS you are using but in
Ubuntu for you it is probably KGpg (applications --->Accessories --->
KGpg

That is the default. If you have installed Kleopatra then you would
need to make the setting change there.

IW